10 ingredient glutenfree chocolate waffles
This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
These waffles are free from refined sugar and gluten plus they’ll take you under 20 minutes to do them since they only contain 10 ingredients. Can it get any better? Sure! There is a healthy chocolate yogurt spread involved too!
This simple recipe really is the perfect everyday waffle and if you don’t like to add cacao you can go for other flavours as well. Try to mix in some nut butter for example or make a batter using apples and cinnamon. Totally up to you. You can dress it up as you please.
Crispy, not too sweet and super satisfying. That’s how I’d describe these waffles. That said it’s high time to jump right into the recipe…
For the dough you’ll need:
- 150 g oat flour (use glutenfree oats or spelt flour if you’re not allergic)
- 1 tbs chia flour (as an egg replacement)
- 4 tbs cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 250 ml rice milk (or another plantbased milk)
- a splash of coconut milk
- 5 tbs maple syrup
- pinch of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder plus the salt to a bowl. Whisk l until thoroughly incorporated and fluffy.
- In another bowl, add the plantbased milk, syrup and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Pour the liquids over the dry and whisk again. Add more milk if needed.
- Heat up your waffle machine. The batter will thicken a bit as it sits.
- Spread some oil (I use coconut oil) on the top and bottom plates of your machine. Use a spray if you want to keep it oil free. May also be because I don’t use oil in the recipe. Leave a little space so it won’t overflow when the dough gets bigger due to the baking powder. Wait until you have crispy, yet fluffy result. Waffles are best when you eat them right away.
For the chocolate yogurt sauce:
Just whisk 50 gr of vegan yogurt or curd with some maple syrup and cacao powder and add a pinch of vanilla.
Now it’s your turn. Enjoy baking your own waffles and let me know how it worked for you!
Lots of love from Zurich,