Why I don’t drink alcohol – 20 reasons + mocktail recipe
This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
It’s holiday season, a time of year for celebration. And somehow the friendly reminder that holiday and celebration need not be synonyms for drinking. “Why don’t you drink alcohol then?” people currently keep asking me all the time. “Because I don’t want to.” is my answer.
This never seems satisfying enough to an opponent though. Actually “because I don’t want to” should be a perfectly fine reason. There is always this pressure to drink. But somehow I had to learn to deal with it that there will always be the ones who just can’t take “no” for an answer. And yep, those fellow non-drinkers exist, and they are valuable friends. But on the other hand, friends who do drink are just as valuable as the ones who don’t.
That’s why I’m writing this blog post today. For the drinkers, for the non-drinkers and for those you’ve always wanted to know why I don’t touch alcohol. Btw: Reason number 9 is my favourite! 😉 Let me know which one you like best in a comment below…
Note: I’m not against the consumption of alcohol in general. It’s all about the moderation! 🙂
Here is my “Why I Don’t Drink Alcohol” listical:
- Alcohol is not a miracle drug. It won’t solve your problems. Instead, it just covers them up.
- Anything I do drinking, I can do sober as well.
- The choice of not drinking does not define me.
- Alcohol is not the center of the universe.
- I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.
- I don’t like the taste of alcohol.
- I don’t like to get drunk.
- And it’s not because I have a drinking problem. It’s simply not part of my life.
- To all the Harry Potter fans: Radcliffe quit drinking too!
- I get the point that alcohol somehow helps you to loosen up in social settings. But on the other hand it creates a barrier between people who drink and people who don’t.
- I can organize things and myself better by being mindful and fully present.
- It’s easy to say “I can’t go to parties because I don’t drink.” But it’s also stupid. Since when is drinking a prerequisite to having a party?
- Alcohol kills brain cells.
- Alcohol is a money-waster.
- Alcohol is not the social glue that keeps us together.
- I don’t want to try too hard to be something I’m not.
- There are alcohol dependent members in my close socioenvironment.
- I am a morning person; I don’t experience hangovers.
- Not drinking alcohol or doing drugs is a lifestyle choice.
- I don’t feel at ease with myself when I’m drinking.
So this holiday season, when you raise a glass, make a little difference and to welcome those who go for a mocktail, a juice or a sparkling water too to get into that festive mood. And to all the non-drinkers: Don’t play the moralizer either. Just enjoy the time all together, wheter you’re a drinker or not.
Of course I can’t let you go without giving you the perfect non-alcoholic cocktail recipe. I’m sure everyone loves this one. The drinkers and the non-drinkers. Here you go! 🙂
Juicy Mandarine-Lychee Mocktail with Mint
- 1 bottle alcohol free prosecco
- juice of 4 mandarines
- 8 lychees
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 kumquats
Squeeze out the mandarines and the lime and fill the juice into a pitcher. Add the peeled and pitted lychees, the mint leaves and the halved kumquats into a mortar (use a glass if you don’t have one). Gently grind all ingredients. Put it together in the pitcher with the juice. Now – as a last step – add in the cooled alcohol free prosecco. Decorate your drink with some fresh mint leaves and more fruit slices.
Let me know how you like this article and tell me more about your relationship with alcohol. Are you a drinker or a non-drinker and why?
Enjoy and have a happy celebration!